A year ago today, we turned on the Collectivus prototype and boxes began showing up on doorsteps all over the US and Canada. Inside these boxes were our Rubber Duckie Thingies and instructions to take them places and enter their encounters. What an interesting first year it's been for our Thingies.
Some Collectivus factoids from year one:
- January 26th, 2010: The Collectivus Prototype is Launched.
- About 600 Rubber Duckie Thingies are in circulation.
- Thingies invaded SXSW in Austin, TX and made lots of new friends
- Four Continents have been visited: North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia
- Thingies rode through 28 states in the US: Florida, Virginia, Arizona, Massachusetts, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, Nevada, Texas, Colorado, California, Missouri, Hawaii, Illinois, Michigan, New Hampshire, Vermont, New Jersey, Ohio, Indiana, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Louisiana
- Thingies went Canadian and visited British Columbia and Ontario
- Some notable cities people have traveled to with a Thingie include: Sydney, Istanbul, Dubai, Milan, London and New York City
- In the far, far away category:
- Thingies have attended: soccer games, baseball games, the Winter Olympics, trade shows, and frequent bars among other places
We think that's not too bad a start for our small, bootstrap project.
In year two, expect to see exponentially more Thingies out in the wild, powered by an all-new application with some new and interesting features. We've taken the data we've collected, your feedback, the state of the rapidly changing social and location gaming landscape, and used it to develop our next version.
In the meantime, if you have a Thingie in your possession: Pass it on! People who have had a Thingie encounter previously will be the first to get the opportunity to try out the new Collectivus. So all of those Rubber Duckie Thingies have just become "Beta Invites."
Thanks for making Collectivus: Year One so much fun!